About the Recipe
If you're looking for a light yet hardy salad which will embrace the season and allow you to celebrate the coming of summer, this recipe is for you. Garlic scapes are a long curly stem that grows from hard necked garlic. It is, in fact, the garlic’s attempt to go to flower. If we leave it alone and do not remove the garlic scape, it will eventually straighten out and produce a purple flower that is delicious and edible. The down side to leaving them on there is that it reduces the size of the garlic bulb dramatically, so rather than let that happen, we cut them off in the month of June and enjoy them in various dishes. Now you will too!
4 stalks of Garlic Breath Farm’s certified organic Garlic Scapes (cut into 1/4 inch pieces)
1 bag of favorite salad blend
2 tbls Garlic Breath Farm’s Spring Garlic Hot Sauce by Gindo’s Spice of Life
2 cans garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
2 tbls (vegan) mayo
1tsb ground mustard (organic if possible)
4 mini bell peppers (2 red, 2 orange) (pictured are organic mini peppers from Aldi)
6 cups of organic quinoa
1. Prepare the quinoa, per the instructions, and set aside to cool
2. Chop up the garlic capes into ¼ inch pieces
3. Chop up the bell peppers into small pieces
4. Mix the garlic scapes and peppers into the quinoa and set aside.
5. Drain 2 cans of garbanzo beans and place in a bowl
6. Mix the mayo and mustard into the garbanzo beans, set aside
7. Prepare your serving dishes with a layer of salad greens, top with quinoa, followed by the bean mixture.